Tuesday 24 August 2010

Anmut takes shape

My show for Arches Live, Anmut, is really taking shape and coming together. I had a technical meeting this morning with Will from the arches and it has really helped me to see how it will all come together. My performer Katy and designer Kate came to see the space yesterday and it got us very excited. We will be performing in the playroom space which is great as it is enclosed so it feels very intimate. It also has a black wall at the back which will be great for the projections we plan to use in the performance.

After a very long search I also today found myself a crucial item of costume for the show. Good old Mr Ben's vintage shop in Glasgow for being the only place on Earth (or so it would seem) that stocked this mystery item...!

We are still on the lookout for a few things though:

a large sheet of glass.
a skeleton (like the ones you would see in an anatomy classroom)
a tuning fork

...so if anyone reading this has one of the above please let me know!

I've almost finished the composition and text of the piece too. It's been quite a complicated thing to work on for several reasons:
1. I've had to grapple with gender politics.
2. I've had to compose both live and pre-recorded elements so the timing has been crucial.

As I'm creating a piece where the characters are known only as "the man" and "the woman", and due to the fact the piece is exploring the differences in tonal quality between male and female voices, it's been quite tricky to make sure I don't fall into gender stereotyping. Of course, by and large, male and female voices operate in much the same way. However there are some major differences and its been quite interesting to learn about these. I hope it will be an interesting experience for the audience. I think the mood of the piece will be quite odd, creepy yet beautiful and a little bit sexual!

The arches live information can be found on the arches website. Here's a link to the page about my show:
http://www.thearches.co.uk/Greg-Sinclair-Anmut.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment