Thursday 12 August 2010

D - I -T -T -O

Plans are coming together for my show Ditto. I have now secured two partner venues who will present performances. First up is North Edinburgh Arts Centre where the show will have its world premiere (!) on 18th January 2011. Yes! I plan to do 2 or 3 performances at NEAC before transferring to the Traverse, Edinburgh to do 3 more performances, 1 of which will be a public performance on Saturday 22nd. I'm so excited as both of these venues are really great spaces that will suit what I want to achieve from Ditto and the staff have all been very supportive.
On the creative side I've started shaping out the structure of the composition. I've been reviewing the footage that I shot in the 3 Edinburgh primary schools during the research stage and this has been a really useful reminder of what worked well (and what didn't work so well). I also think that now I know the spaces that Ditto will be in I can start to picture the visual aesthetic of the show.

At the same time I'm working on my show for Arches Live, Anmut. I've been doing a lot of research into the physiology of singing: exploring all the tiny physical and emotional factors involved in the body and the mind as it prepares to sing, as it's singing, and after it has stopped singing. I intend for the show to be an exploration of one tiny moment, spaced out over half an hour so that each tiny thing can be examined. I'm having to think quite poetically to get myself out of textbook language and into something more palatable and beautiful, whilst still having that sense of wonder that we get when you learn something new and fascinating. And of course there's all the notes to compose too....!

No comments:

Post a Comment